Thursday, March 26, 2009

Just some random thoughts

Well, I haven't written a blog post in ages. Somehow I must say that I am not really surprised, my life has been a roller-coaster ride the past few weeks what with work, varsity and who knows what else to attend to. Yes, I know that this is no excuse not to write a post but somehow when it comes to the choice of writing up a post versus playing games, reading manga, watching anime etc etc well, I guess it's easy to guess what wins. Anyhow, enough complaining about my life let's get around to the topic of today's post.

I have always considered myself as an open minded individual when it comes to new ideas/concepts and pride myself on trying out new thing (in this case software, I am addicted to updates) but recently I realized that it seem as if I have become stuck in a rut. I've been using the same software without question for who knows how long, not bothering to find out what else is available, but it seems as if this will finally change.

For as long as I can remember I have been using Winamp for listening to music, Media Player Classic for playing videos etc etc. Now most people will tell you that Winamp is one of the best media players to use in the Windows environment, or that their browser (be it IE, Firefox, Chrome, Opera or whatever) is the best, yet if you ask them if they have tried anything else, their answer is normally no and if you try to offer them another product they will hotly defend their own choice, often sinking so low as to insult your choice. In all honesty though if you aren't willing to risk a step away from your comfortable whatever, how will you ever discover if there is anything better out there.

In the past (before the internet was really big as it is today) I will agree that it was often difficult to get alternative software. With the way it stand nowadays though, there is no excuse not to try out something different (even if your internet is slow and/or expensive, smaller software packages are a good place to start, 3 or 4Mb is really not that much).

So I dare you, go out and try something different today. And before you complain about a piece of software consider the time and effort the developers have put into it. Rather send them feedback so they can improve their product or if you really want to complain try and build your own software and only after that do you really have the right to moan.

No comments:

Post a Comment